Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mom's Cinnamon Loaf on Mother's Day

It felt odd this year to not be looking at the Mother's Day cards - no gifts to buy, no packages to send - it has been nine months since Mom passed away and eight   months for my mother in law.... 


But, when your kids are home for the weekend, well, that's just about perfect!

  


Darcy, Carla and her beau - Darcy! 



In honor of Mom, I decided to make her cinnmaon loaf recipe - from her recipe box.  Mom was such a great baker -I'm sure she often had baking disasters like we all do but I can only remember everything tasted so delicious!   I really should be making more of her recipes...


It's in there somewhere..


I used her Colonial Mist bowls, that's Pyrex, for those who don't know!


Cinnamon Loaf


1/2 c. margarine(the recipe called for shortening, I substituted)

1 c. white sugar

2 eggs

2 c. flour

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

1 c. sour milk ( I used buttermilk because I had some)


Cream margarine and sugar, add eggs.  In another bowl, mix together the flour, b. soda, b. powder and salt.  Add flour mixture and milk alternately to creamed mixture.

In small bowl mix - 

3 tbsp. white sugar

1 tbsp. cinnamon.


Grease 9 x 5 loaf pan.  Cover bottom with batter, spoon 1/4 of cinnamon mixture, add more batter, more cinnamon mixture, remainder of batter and remainder of cinnamon.  Bake at 350 for 1 hour.


Wouldn't you like to have a bite of this loaf??    I'm linking this great recipe up with Scrumptious Sunday Recipe Link Party ,  the Creative Bloggers Party at Homemaker on a Dime and the party at Melt in Your Mouth Monday


I'll miss Mom always.....





9 comments:

  1. Jill, I'm so sorry you lost your dear mom and mom-in-law in the past year. It makes for a difficult day today. The cinnamon loaf sounds delicious on this cool rainy day and would be delicious with a cup of tea. I hope you have a blessed day! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mother's Day Jill! That cinnamon loaf looks and sounds delicious! I know you're missing your Mom today....I'm missing mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This bread looks and sounds delicious... and I was just thinking how I wanted to make some kind of bread or coffee cake involving cinnamon. Can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a "sweet" tribute to your mom! Her cinnamon bread looks delicious~ that is one of my favourites. I have never made it from scratch before. Wishing you a Happy Mother's Day Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful that you made the cinnamon loaf as a tribute to your mom. I'm glad the kids were with you while you were thinking about your mom and mother-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your Mom's wonderful recipe Jill. I'm sorry you didn't have her with you this year, know that is very hard. (hugs), Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice way to remember your mom on Mothers Day! So sorry to read the passing of both moms in one year. Glad you had your kids to make the day more special.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a wonderful tribute to your mother :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's hard to lose those you love and make holidays sad sometimes. Glad you had a good visit with your kids! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete