Thursday, May 30, 2013

Just a Few Finds

I've been saying that there is no rhyme nor reason to the pricing at Value Village, I'm thinking that again after what I bought yesterday.  


I wasn't really taken with this little guy, until I turned him over...


This was Jimmie's -  given to him when he was born in 1942 - and made in Occupied Japan - it's in perfect shape and the price - $1.99 - I've seen figures like this priced way higher and not nearly as nice.  I noticed yesterday they were throwing some of the grab bag items in a cart, I know that all the colour coded tags mean which day they were put out on the floor, a cashier told me that one day, but I wonder what they do with that kind of stuff when it doesn't sell??


My Vera dry spell is over - for now anyway, this was at Value Village too for 99 cents.


I've purchased this game before but it was newer so I'll compare the two and use one for crafting purposes.  It's called "The Greatest of all Party Games"  - I've never played it, have you? Copyright on the instructions is 1947.  I paid $1


I couldn't help myself - I had to buy this book, it was 50 cents - it's in just perfect condition, not a mark, not a tear, it must have been sitting on a shelf somewhere - it doesn't even seem that the spine was bent back.  The book is from 1962 and it's full of sweet graphics - there's a nice mix of poems and stories.


The little boy is cool under the butterbean tent!


This is a page from "The Chinaberry Tree"


I don't like it at all when I make the rounds and find nothing - yesterday was just right - cute things and not much money spent!


I'm linking my thrifty finds up with Share Your CupThursday Favorite Things, Time Travel Thursday and Junkin Joe

20 comments:

  1. Don't you love it when you find awesome treasures while thrift shopping! Love all of your treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your finds!! Wish I could go thrifting with you sometime!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finds Jill! Another great Vera scarf. I love the cow planter. It's crazy I can't seem to figure out the pricing at VVs either! I guess it just depends on who's working??

    ReplyDelete
  4. The little planter is very special! I'm so pleased when the sellers leave the special notes on them. Love the cute book, too...the illustrations are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are awesome, and I love that the cow had a note!

    I'm visiting today from Thursday's Favorite Things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousMay 30, 2013

    Oh, wow! I remember that book! That's one of the things I love about blogging and treasure hunting! thanks for posting! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how the cow had a little note! Fantastic finds! I am going junking this weekend and cant wait!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so cool that the little cow had a note! That was a women who didn't want to forget a thing. Good for her! Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  9. PIT is a super-fun game! I had no idea it was that old. We got one in the 80s and love it, best played with 4 or more players to emmulate the 'stock market' trading floor, pandemonium ensues in the trading of cards. IT'S a FUN game!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Last night I had a dream you visited St. Johns and we went thrifting together and found a bunch of rare pyrex. Hahaha! You were also like 8 feet tall. weird. I love that cow planter, I love the fact that it has that tag on it more, how awesome! 1942, wow Jimmies well into his 60s now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's kind of sad to see a personal gift like that at the thrift shop. I'm glad you gave it a good home! I would have bought the Story Hour book too. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an awesome score, that book is so cool! I hope you don’t mind that I’ve reposted your post at my gallery, “The Blog Post Office”. It’s like a reverse linky. Please let me know if you are not happy with that, I can always remove it for you. But I’m really hoping you won‘t mind as all the posts will be a gallery of wonderful items.

    Thank you so much, Victoria Lavender

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cow is really cool... I can't believe it's that old! Love the scarf...haven't seen a Vera in pink. I think if I'm "Thermos Girl" You are "Vera" :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. AnonymousMay 31, 2013

    I found your site via Victoria Lavender's Blog Post Office. I just LOVE that cow! And it is even more special with the tag that is on it. Those books are great, too, reminds me of a Christmas book I have from my Grandma when I was a child. Blessings to you- Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Officially - great finds! The little cow with the label personalizing it is so sweet. Love the book - especially the graphics.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute finds! Nope, never played Pit!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your sweet OJ find is just the cutest! Can't believe they sell Vera for 99 cents, amazing! Love all your finds today.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the little tag on the cow planter! It makes it so much more special! I have some old tea cups that have the names of a family member to whom they belonged taped to the bottom. Although that relative passed away long before I was born, I feel extra attached to them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the little moo! How adorable! Some fabulous finds! Sending hugs...

    ReplyDelete