Sunday, December 8, 2013

Red - The Color of Christmas

I finally have my corner shelf  decked out in all the beautiful red shades of Christmas - but when I was setting it up, it seemed like I had a whole lot more vintage Christmas than I did last year, I didn't think I accumulated that much but apparently I did, so much that my husband made me another corner shelf yesterday.  They are just the greatest shelves, that will make two in the livingroom, one in the kitchen, and two in the gameroom.  If you want a closer look, just click on any picture!


  Here it goes - the top shelf..


Every item on this one is thrifted except for the reindeer and the Santa and the chimney, the chimney came all the way from Holly in Newfoundland!!  It's so cute, this is the first year on the shelf for it.  I've had the deer since the 70's, my penpal, Carol was from Red Deer, Alberta she sent that to me at her Mom's urging, it has been in the house at home, now it's here with me once again.  Carol and I have been friends ever since, actually, she just sent me a new bell for the "Red Deer".  I was asked if he was a Dream Pet, I don't really know anything about Dream Pets, although I know I do have one that I'm sure of - this one is made of a rubber or faux leather material - Carol says that the city was selling them as a way to promote the city.  Were Dream Pets made of this material?



Not so many thrifted items on this shelf - the Santa and the sleigh belonged to Mom, it was made in Japan.  The Santa and sleigh behind it belonged to my great aunt, it has the original sticker on it, Thames, hand painted, made in Japan.  Everything else was purchased except for the classic Night Before Christmas, a trade from Molly, we did a fun trade back in the fall, check out her blog - We Have No Enemies

This shelf is pretty well all from home - the Putz houses, bottlebrush trees and little guys at the front were all Mom's - I found the knee hugger this summer at a yardsale.  


I am going to do a little video on Instagram some day soon of the music box in the back, it belonged to my grandmother, I still have the original box, it holds a candle but there is no room for that on here. It's the cutest thing, it plays Silent Night and was also made in Japan, as is the Santa.  I actually finally have a couple of Gurley candles, I have never ever seen one of those around here, I had to order one on Ebay, I was that desperate!!   Last year I found the little mouse, it's a Josef Original.  Thanks to Erica, that's Golden Egg Vintage Erica for her creations at the front, so very cute!!


Erica is so good to me - I love the Annalee Santa in the sleigh.  Everything else is thrifted in this pic.


My only new item on the bottom shelf is the plastic Santa and sleigh.  The little girls  with hair are all Napco, made in Japan.  I bought those years ago on Ebay, I guess another "Jill" owned it, her name is written on the bottom!  I didn't know at the time that I had found a Bradley doll, but I guess that's what she is.  

I have become crazy for all this vintage Christmas red, I decorated the tree yesterday which I used to do with mostly primitive type ornaments - wood and dark colors, I used none of those this year, everything is shiny and bright now!!  I'll be sharing some of my other vintage Christmas shelves in the days ahead but today I'm linking up with a special party - Vintage Christmas at Organized Clutter and also Thriftasaurus.


This shelf is close to the corner shelf - I changed it up this year and made it about the lights, because I found myself with quite a few boxes of lights!  I just hope there is no door slamming though or everything on it could come crashing to the floor!  I like it!


Have a great day - hope you're displaying a little bit of vintage Christmas too!





19 comments:

  1. Toooo fun!
    Your corner shelf is awesome and so are your collections! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really have a good assortment of vintage Christmas decor! Thanks for sharing at my party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill, you have so many great Christmas things from the past. I remember seeing some of these things in my friend's homes as a girl but we didn't have so much in ours. They are pretty cute and a fun collection. I also liked your knee huggers on the tree in your previous post. There are a few of the knee huggers in the attic but I've never brought them up here. Have a great week ahead. I hope you share your Christmas tree with us with it's 'new' look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My fav is the pixie head & the kneehugger... not the weird doll one, though. Next time you & your husband are in the hood, he needs to come over & make me a shelf! I am lacking display space!

    So much vintage Christmas, I love it! I have some decorations to show that came from Quebec today. Who knew Canada Post delivered on Sundays near Christmas!? Certainly not me! Can you believe my boyfriend actually said, "we have enough decorations" - I was shocked! He is wrong, of course. You can never have enough...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a great collection, and what a great husband to make another shelf so you can show it off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It all looks so cute. I have never seen a Santa knee hugger!
    I love the story of the Red Deer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such cute collectibles! Bravo to your husband too! Nice shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jill, you have a huge collection of really great goodies. Love your shelves, kudos to your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love all your pretty christmas things! and those shelves are so cool!
    i bet it isn't a dream pet, but there were TONS of "knock off" dream pets made at the same time. I have two deer that are shiny like that, and they came in a shiny brite bag actually! i like the knock offs just as much. they are still cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You collection is fabulous! I love it all! :) Only 16 days til Christmas!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I decorated this year, I found that I had tons of things that I forgot that I had bought over the last year! Oh well, the more the merrier right?

    I always love that shelf whenever I see it on your blog. One of these days, I will get around to harassing Brian to make me one! He can't deny that I need more space :-)

    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jill...thanks for visiting Thinkin of Home. You have quite a vintage collection. I wish I had more....enjoyed seeing all of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I keep going back and trying to see everything you have. I love it all...you know I do! I have a dream pet but it's velvety. Not sure what all they were made of though. Yours looks just like mine. Have fun decorating. I am SO addicted to the vintage things! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was so excited to see the Thames hand painted Santa on the second shelf! I believe I have the same exact one, including the metal 'sleigh' he sits in, and a reindeer that pulls it! This was my Nana's piece, she had it I'll bet in the 50's. So glad to see someone else has one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - this is going back a while. I didn't know the name of that Santa sleigh - mine belonged to my great aunt - it's a special one, for sure, I've never seen another one!!

      Delete
  15. Where did you get that old box that says Kresge on it? I want one! My last name is Kresge and it would be so cute in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Where did you get that old box that says Kresge on it? I want one! My last name is Kresge and it would be so cute in my house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had it for a while, but I would have bought it at a thrift store, they were store brand lights!

      Delete