Thursday, April 21, 2011

Mildred Pierce

I watched the Mildred Pierce mini-series on HBO and loved it - I have never seen the original movie with Joan Crawford - that's next on my list.  I just finished the book,which was first published in 1941 - it is so true to the series, I've read that more liberties were taken with the movie, we'll see what I think when I've watched it.   The story is set in the 1930's in California and revolves around Mildred, her male acquaintances and her undying devotion to her daughter, Veda.  I also watched The Making of Mildred Pierce, it was amazing to see how a series like that is shot - the work involved in the sets - it's mind boggling!  Next up is another novel by James M. Cain - The Postman Always Rings Twice - hope it's as great as Mildred Pierce! 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jill,
    I've linked your lovely blog on PC1. I'll be back here for lot's of visits.
    All the best,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have to watch "The Making Of..."!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved Mildred Pierce! Kate Winslet was perfect.

    ReplyDelete