Monday, March 31, 2014

Using My Thrift Finds for SMASHing

More and more I find myself hunting down good paper items at the thrifts for my SMASHing stash - I'm finding some great stuff!!  It's always nice to have lots of stickers and embellishments to use but SMASHing can be done with just magazines and such.  Last week I found these two great old children's books, I have no qualms about cutting them up for pages that I plan to do, I paid only a few cents for each book and they're thick ones, it was really worthwhile.




The French encyclopedia is full of the sweetest illustrations...




I also came home with a couple of old knitting patterns, I was only looking in this section because I have seen people use old sewing patterns for SMASHing, I was sure surprised when I saw these patterns, I bought them and I SMASHed them because Mom made these caps for me and my children.


Here are a few more pages that I've done recently, all with bits and pieces from thrifted books,  magazines and catalogues.  Some of you that follow me via Jill's Little Bit page on Facebook or Instagram have probably already seen these pages, but I know a lot of people out there are not on either one and like to see this type of page.  Click on any pic for a closer look!









I found this pack of unopened Peanuts Valentines, I gave some sheets away and used some for SMASHing.


Thrifting and SMASHing - it's a great combination for me.


Linking up with Thriftasaurus and We Call it Junkin

12 comments:

  1. Thrifting and Smashing IS a great combo. Your pages are really fun! Your new children's books look to have great possibilities. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't SMASH but I've been doing mixed media art and it's the same thing where I can go hunting for vintage papers and books. Isn't it so much fun to use those things instead of the new stuff?
    I just love all of the pages you've designed! So cute!
    Erica :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could find vintage books and magazines like you do!! You know I love all your smash pages!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great idea! And you can always make copies or scan pages, too if they are too good to cut up. You've given me some ideas for my journal! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd never seen Smashing before. Cute idea.
    Blessings,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the vintage finds and your pages are fantastic. Right up my alley. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all your pages. Magazines and old books are great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. SMASHING-ly wonderful use of old illustrations. Love the French Encyclopedia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen Smashing but those are great! I love vintage and crafting so I may have to try that. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my Gosh, I love the books you found and your journals are amazing! Vintage graphics are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved looking at your pages. I have two of these books and have barely put anything in them but you have given me inspiration! Think I will pull these out this weekend!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw, the two with the children and the birds / chicks are adorable. Your pages look terrific! Thank you for sharing this at my History & Home link party - Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

    ReplyDelete