Thursday, January 16, 2014

Beauty Ads from Good Housekeeping, 1950

Last fall I found a couple of old Good Housekeeping magazines, I love the old advertisements in them, I shared the December 1946 issue back then, I really should go through that one again and have a good look for more ads - if you missed it, it's right here.

Today I'm sharing some beauty ads from the Feburary 1950 issue of Good Housekeeping.  These magazines were thick, 248 pages - full of fashion, fiction, decorating - the cost was only 35 cents, I don't know if you could even buy a page for that now - some magazines are so expensive!



Click on any ad to get a better look!

Ivory has been going strong for a long time, it's still the only brand we use!


I guess all you had to do was apply some "Fels-Naptha Soap" and your gray hair would be gone!!


But, if you weren't using Fels Naptha, The Rayve Home Pernament could rid you of your grays - the complete kit costing $2 - from the famous Pepsodent Laboratories!


Tinted Foundation and Powder in one - only 49 cents in 4 dreamy shades!!!


Maureen O'Sullivan holds one of her six children, advertising Jergens Lotion - Hollywood stars preferred Jergens 7-1 - mothers keep glamorous hands with Jergens!!


Is there adventure in your hand?  You must read this one!!  Dura-Gloss nail polish - 10 cents - lipstick - 25 cents.


This one compares your dry skin to a withered and dry grape - but if you used Woodbury's Dry Skin Cream - you could lengthen the bloom of your beauty!!!  Oh, my...


I just have to stick this one in - I could have guessed what was in that brown paper box, back in the 60's and 70's - that's how the grocery store in my little community packaged their personal hygiene products - brown paper, tied in string and the price written ever so lightly in the corner.  No one could know!!!!


If you didn't want to shop at the store and  have everyone know you what you were buying, you could send away for a sample package of Meds tampons - they would arrive in a plain paper wrapper! 





Mascara has come a long way since 1950!


The small ads are pretty neat at the back - if you used the Woodbury Cream on your face and Absorbine on your feet - "years" would be added to your looks!!!  



I see on the top right corner of the page that it says - By Appointment - Perfumers to H.R. Queen Mary - Yardley, London - are Yardley products still around?  I remember Mom having some of those...


This magazine is full of great old ads - I have to share some fashion and household ones in another post.  Hope you enjoyed having a look!


Joining in at We Call it Junkin and Vintage Thingie Thursday





12 comments:

  1. What a fun post, thanks for sharing these ads with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that was so much fun! I loved looking at those old ads. Yes, you can still get Yardley products, but you have to special order them. Thank you for sharing~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have several old magazines and I enjoy them, too. I get a kick out of some of the old products that ended up being new again in the 70's and 80's. Like the Reach toothbrush. It was around in the 40's but I remember how it was the new thing in the 1970's.

    I use to be able to pick up old magazines for hardly anything. But now, if it is under 5.00, it's a steal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun! I remember my mom having the brush on mascara. AND having to use a belt for "sanitary napkins". We've come a long way baby! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many of these ads were elegant and I always loved those little clip out coupons with many of them. And no...I didn't know my hands could have adventures. Well...maybe if I'm visiting blogs they do! haha! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that was fun. I enjoyed seeing these old magazine ads for the year I was born. Do you remember the Breck girl ads? They were popular in the 60's. I remember buying the brown paper wrapped boxes too. Oh my… Hahaha. I used the brush on Maybelline mascara. It came in a small tube with a tiny brush. I still buy Yardley soap as it is still the original 'recipe' and fine soap. Dollarama sells it for $1.25 a cake and it's about $3.00 at a drug store. I love the lavender and the oatmeal ones. Great post Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually just came across a stack of old Good Housekeeping magazines that I picked up at a sale last year and stashed. Maddie says they smell funny :-) Wonder if there is a way to air them out and get rid of the mustiness. They are all in pretty good condition and I am hoping to find some cute advertisements to frame.

    Have a great weekend, Jill!

    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun ads-- products and advertising has certainly changed. I picked up a 1953 Woman's Day (I think it was) a few years ago at a garage sale. I was amazed that there were no drug ads; that's all you see today. Kind of depressing, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these old ads! A friend just gave me some old magazines to sell for her, and they have some great old ads I'm going to share on my blog soon, too. Thanks so much for sharing this at my History & Home Link Party. Hope to see you again on Tuesday. Take care - Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree, that was a fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun post. I loved looking at those old ads.
    http://www.top-ten-web-hosting-reviews.com/">Top

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still use fels-naptha soap for stubborn laundry stains. AT Christmas, my sister and I removed a set-in stain from the front of my Dad's shirt with 'the brown soap' and bleach (he's blind and can't see the stains altho he still does his own laundry.) And Yardley English Lavender soap still smells wonderful, cleans without drying and costs only .99 so I use it every day!

    ReplyDelete