Thursday, September 26, 2013

The 70 Mile Yard Sale

I'm back from my trip "home" to Prince Edward Island, we HAD to stay until Sunday as last weekend was the 70 Mile Yard Sale.  It's a shopping frenzy, cars and people everywhere along the route, I found a few things, I don't think any item cost more than $1 - I have one regret and it is just plain stupidity on my part, I saw a turquoise Pyrex bowl, now, this was coming on the end of the day and we had been on the road since 8 - I should have looked on my phone to see the picture of what I had, I didn't even think of that, I know now that was the one bowl I needed to complete that set!!!  Buyers remorse on that one!!



They were just setting up at our first stop - one item bought there and it's a cutie - the Lefton sticker is still on the bottom and it plays "Jingle Bells" - $1.



Another $1 spent on this blowmold - I saw some gigantic candy cane ones, but they were really too big - too big to drag back here and too big to store.  As it is, we had to move some of our blowmolds to the attic!


The lady at this sale wanted me to take the whole box of Christmas, that would have been a complete waste, all I found were these two felt Santa's.



This little girl has lost her bell, but I don't care, these two little ornaments will look real cute on my red Christmas shelf.  She was made in Japan.



I have a Tom and Jerry bowl and one cup, it's not the same as these cups, but I don't care about that either, I'll just use them for decoration anyway.  These Hazel Atlas cups were 25 cents each!


That's it for Christmas purchases - onward to the rest of the things I bought.  Our local grocery store when I was growing up was Lucky Dollar, I had to buy this ashtray - it's a good collectible.  I bought the labels because they were local too, Fraser's Cannery was just across the water from my home and the canned chicken was so good!!   We still have glasses like this at home, Schwartz mustard came in them, I have never seen one with a label, it was $1 too.  Later on we saw a bigger Schwartz peanut butter glass, it was $10 - at a yard sale!!!  That's not a yard sale price!!!


An old friend was having a sale - her mother used to sell Avon, she had a box of stuff left, still in the original boxes and not opened - and she had these, she gave them to me..Avon Calling....


This little bag of goodies only cost me $1 - I was taken with the little booklets.  The Norcross Blue Book from 1951 - the lady that owned this was using it as a mini journal - she wrote down her household jobs - on Oct. 28, 1955 she washed the window sill, windows inside and out, complete.  The Russels were for  dinner, the menu consisted of - cranberry juice, mashed potatoes, carrots & peas, Swiss Steak, butterscotch rolls (which I've never heard of) and Pompadour Pudding, never heard of that one either.    The mini coil booklet has trip expenses - the people were from New Jersey and drove to Florida - a few of their expenses were 21 cents for ice cream, postcards were 3 cents, $5 for overnight stay, $1 for repairs to car - it's pretty neat!



The last time I was home I passed these by at a local flea market, I sent my great aunt back for them, $2 - not bad for some vintage Fire King shakers, I had these on Instagram and somebody suggested using them for mini vases - great idea!



See this Rubbermaid container - it's full of stuff I brought back  - things that were Mom's and a few things that belonged to my mother-in-law - I have lots to share, including a lot of Vera scarves!   I'll be sharing this post with ThriftasaurusJunkin JoeThursday Favorite Things , Vintage Thingie Thursday and Rednesday, because there's a fair amount of red in this post!



21 comments:

  1. Jill
    Going back home is always fun, but you had a real bang of a trip.
    I love all the nostalgia that came with many of your finds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such an amazing trip! I hope you find the bowl you need though! Love all of the Christmas pretties. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! You really did find a lot of great things! Yes, Jill you should have bought the turquoise Pyrex whether you already had it or not...those things are hard to find! I love everything but especially love the paper ephemera!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Christmas stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Jill!! I am sick over that turquoise bowl and it didn't even happen to me. Pink and turquoise Pyrex is so scarce that I buy duplicates of it whenever I find it at a good price.

    I love all the sweet Christmas décor. Before you know it, you will be able to put it out. Scary, huh?

    Maddie showed me those Fire King shakers on Instagram. She came running and said "Mom, Mom!! Look at what Jill found!!". She was super excited for you :-)

    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buyers remorse is the worst feeling, I have had it many times. Hope that you find that same Pyrex bowl real soon. Nice thrift finds and great prices. Looks like it was a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That would have been so much fun and I am sure you will see another turquoise pyrex one day, just hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back! Great finds! Hmm... what's in that tub??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jill!
    Welcome to Rednesday that seeped in Thursday..hehe
    You are entered into the giveaway and WOW, only a $1.....Wish we were closer (Ohio) I'd love to tag with you. Pink Pyrex which one is it...there nay be one down here at Ohio Ant. Mall I could look and let you know. E-mail
    brownginghamcreations@fuse.net They have a lot of it in various booths.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, you found some great memories there on the island. I have one of the mustard glasses with the black and red card theme on it. I think I gave away a bunch of those little Santas one year. Sounds like a fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is something I have always wanted to attend, but waited too late. I cannot image the traffic and people.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome finds, it looks like you did quite well on this trip! Lucky you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Buyers remorse is the worse but hurray for the other finds. Love the shakers! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jill, wow you found some wonderful things, and for pennies! I can't get over it. I'm starting a brand new link-up party on Tuesday, Oct 1 called We Call It Olde - I'll hope you'll join in! Take care - Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW...some really awesome finds!!!! TFS...hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, love everything! Especially the Christmas. The vase idea is great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The 70 mile yard sale sounds like such a fun idea! Too bad about the Pyrex, but you got some good stuff! Jo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such great finds!! Love all the Christmas pretties! Happy weekend! xx Holly

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks
    Ike you had a fun day too!
    Enjoy all your treasures.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW! I should plan a vacation to PEI for that yard sale....

    ReplyDelete