Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Finds from the Road

Last week I tagged along with my husband when he had to go away for business, I like when that happens, especially when it's in an area where there are numerous thrift shops and a few antique malls within a nice distance - oh, GPS, you're a great invention!!!


How many times have you seen something on a blog or on Instagram and immediately think you need that item?  I've been seeing vintage Valentine candy boxes, it made me remember Dad buying those for Mom, I have never seen them in a shop, so I never imagined I would ever have one!  Jackpot - I found a booth that had five boxes - two were red, the others were non Valentine colors, I knew I was taking one, but I came to my senses and took the other red one too.


Both of the boxes are a nice size, about 10 inches in length.  The top one has writing on the back - From Warren, 1940.  The bottom one is very fancy and still has the Moirs, Halifax, Canada, tag on it.  You don't see elaborate things like this anymore.  The paper liner is still inside the box.  I really don't have anything in the line of vintage Valentines, now I do!!


I've been on an Ideals kick lately, my good friend, Sharon, told me they were great for SMASHing, I never gave them a second glance before, but she was right, they're great -  I found a few for Christmas, I used some for pages, some of the pictures are beautiful and some of the verses are ok to use too!    Jackpot, again - four Valentine Ideals books!


I can't remember the last time I bought a postcard but these were cheap and cute!



I very seldom ever look at the children's book section anymore, I have quite a few Eloise Wilkin books and any I do see are the usual ones you see all the time.  I was just walking past the books and this one was sitting to the side - I grabbed it - it was 50 cents.   It's a beautiful book, it was given to Katie from Birgitta, 1st Christmas, 1989 - you should have kept this book, Katie.  



I have never seen an Eloise Wilkin illustration that wasn't beautiful!


No trip would be successful without finding a Vera or two - I'm really liking that animal print one - it's different, has the tag attached and was only 75 cents!!!  




Yay - I actually have a post to link up, so I'm linking with ThriftasaurusVintage Bliss Tuesdays and Thrifter Share



11 comments:

  1. Great scores! Love the postcards-- hard to find holiday ones cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill! I'm so glad you found some special things! The heart box with the silhouette is very pretty! A successful trip for sure!
    Erica :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finds. So nice the one Valentine box had the date in it. I love antique postcards - affordable and easy to collect as easy to store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the postcards and books! What fun to go thrifting and get fun treasures. You always make me want to go! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is really hard to find anything in the way of vintage Valentines Day other than cards. You did really good with those candy boxes!! They will look great on display.

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love finding things that remind me of MY past. Glad you scored some more Veras!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your finds, those Valentine boxes are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your finds, those Valentine boxes are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. DARN I just donated all my big old candy boxes about 10 years ago-oh well less stuff to store and dust but still....sad face! Nice for you though!!
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  10. The postcards are so beautiful, the people you want to send them are so lucky!

    Carpet cleaning Enfield

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am always enchanted by vintage childrens books ! Nice finds!

    ReplyDelete