Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Comfort Food - Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup

Here I am blogging two days in a row, but I just had to share this delicious recipe, a recipe that was so perfect for the cold day we had yesterday and the leftovers are going to taste even better today.  This recipe is for Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup, I have never been much of a soup maker, but my list of soups that I make and that do turn out is growing and this one will be added to the list.  


This recipe came from Laura's blog, live. love. scrap. - I pinned it back in December, it didn't take me long to give it a try.


Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup

5 Tbsp butter

1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp flour

1/4 c. diced mushrooms ( I thought I was all set with fresh mushrooms but apparently they had been in the fridge too long, lucky I had a can of sliced mushrooms)

1 1/4 cup diced onions ( I didn't use quite that much)

1 cup diced celery

1 cup diced carrots

2 cups cooked and chopped chicken ( I fried about 8 skinless boneless chicken thighs)

5 cups chicken broth

1 cup milk

1 tsp. poultry seasoning

1/4 tsp. thyme

5 oz. egg noodles (I used a bit more - chicken noodle soup just needs lots of noodles)

1 1/2 cups half and half

Salt & Pepper to taste


In a medium pan, melt 3 Tbsp butter and add flour to make a roux.  Whisk in 1 cup chicken broth and milk.  Add 1/4 cup onions and mushrooms and bring to a boil.  Whisk often until it thickens.


In a large pot, melt the remaining 2 Tbsp butter.  Add 1 cup of onions, the celery and carrots.  Cook for a few minutes until the veggies soften.  Add the mushroom mixture, the chicken, the remaining 4 cups of chicken broth and the thyme and poultry seasoning.  Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat.  Simmer for 30 minutes.  Meanwhile, cook and drain the noodles.


Stir in cooked noodles and half and half.  Allow to heat through.  Add salt and pepper to taste.


SO GOOD!!




7 comments:

  1. Hmmm....don't you just love homemade soup? That does look so yummy. Thanks tons for the recipe.. I'm going to make it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It warmed up and was only 17 below here this morning; second day that my office has been closed. We follow the school district closings and lucky for me, no school for kiddies means no work for me! I did have to go on Sunday when it was -15 below as I headed out the door! It was supposed to be pancake night with the recipe you provided last year but no school for my daughter (the teacher) either so no grandkids for us...pancake world record holding 7 year old will have to wait till next week! Must try this soup, Half 'n Half? What's not to like!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like this will be a hit at our place too. I'll be trying it as soon as I get groceries. Ed was not well after his test today so we headed straight home with no pitstops at the stores. Thanks for another great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! I'm going to have to try that recipe!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. That recipe looks very tasty, I like creamy soups the best. I made broccoli/cheddar soup 2 days ago. I think I will try your recipe next!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jill, I make a creamy chicken noodle soup that is one of my families favorite. My recipe is just a little different, but looks very similar. YUM! Helps keep you warm and cozy.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks so butiful
    I'm going to have to try that recipe!
    http://www.top-ten-web-hosting-reviews.com/">Top

    ReplyDelete